Many people today think that “hippies” are still shaggy, tye dye sporting anti-establishment types that run around protesting everything. Alright, maybe a few protests here and there….
Below are a few tips that everyday folks can undertake without too many radical changes to their comfortable daily lives.
How To Be HIPPIE In Spite of Yourself:
1. Choose organic whenever possible or practical. Given the choice, go for the organic one.
2. Learn to cook!! REAL food is awesome.
3. Shop and eat local whenever you can.
4. Appreciate granola. No single case of death by overdose has ever been recorded.
5. Grow a few veggies in a patio pot or window box. Petunias are pretty, but frankly, they’re not real tasty.
6. Buy only products that contain ZERO chemicals. This is the hardest one. Not everyone can make their own laundry or dishwasher soap. Read labels, check products out. If you’re spending YOUR money on it, you have a right to know what’s in it.
7. Recycle. It’s not a difficult concept.
8. Learn to clean WITHOUT chemicals. Your Grandmother did, why can’t you? Baking soda, lemon juice and vinegar work wonders.
9. Mindfully part with your money. Do you NEED it? Is it supporting local or nearby businesses?
10. Everyday eat at least FIVE things that don’t have labels. If it DOES NOT have a nutrition label on it, it’s probably good for you. When’s the last time you saw “nutrition facts” printed on an apple?
This 10-step list is a good start. I’m not suggesting that all women run out and burn their bras, the guys don’t need to swear off shaving, far from it. Just be intelligent about the choices you make every day. There are HUGE numbers of “green” products and services out there. Some are legitimately green, some are just “green-washed”. You don’t need to be too much of a radical to figure out which is which.
Copyright © 2009-2022. All works on this site are the exclusive property of Tammy Brooks (author), Hippie Ways unless otherwise stated. Send email to tammy at hippieways dot com with questions or comments.